Flu Vaccinations

Flu Vaccinations

Who is eligible for the flu vaccination?
Groups eligible for influenza vaccinations are based on the advice of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI). The programme aims to provide direct protection to those who are at higher risk of influenza associated morbidity and mortality and to reduce transmission to all age groups through the vaccination of children.

You will usually be administered the vaccine recommended by the JCVI.

  • Those aged 65 years and over.
  • Those aged 6 months to under 65 years in clinical risk groups, such as the below groups:
    – respiratory conditions, such as asthma (needing a steroid inhaler or tablets), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including emphysema and bronchitis.
    – heart conditions, such as coronary heart disease or heart failure
    being very overweight – a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above
    – chronic kidney disease
    – liver disease, such as hepatitis
    – some neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), or cerebral palsy
    – a learning disability
    – problems with your spleen like sickle cell disease, or if you’ve had your spleen removed
    – a weakened immune system as a result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or taking medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
    – Pregnant women.
    – All children aged 2 or 3 years on 31 August 2023.
    – All primary school-aged children and all secondary school-aged children up to Year 11 (though this will usually be arranged by the child’s school).
    – Those in long stay residential care homes.
    – Carers in receipt of carer’s allowance, or those who are the main carer of an elderly or disabled person.
    – Close contacts of immunocompromised individuals.
  • All frontline health care workers, including both clinical and non-clinical staff who have contact with patients, should be offered the influenza vaccine to protect themselves and those they care for.
  • Social care workers who are in direct contact with people who receive care and support services should also have the influenza vaccine provided by their employer. This should be provided by their employer as part of the organisation’s policy to prevent the transmission of infection.

Cohorts that were eligible in the 2022 to 2023 season but that are not included in the cohorts for 2023 to 2024 are:

Those aged 50 to 64 years that are not in an ‘at risk’ category.

Travel information and vaccination clinic

If you require any vaccinations relating to foreign travel you need to make an appointment with the Practice Nurse at least 6 weeks before you travel.

Our Travel Clinics are very busy and it is advisable to make arrangements to have your travel vaccinations in good time as last minute appointments are very seldom available. If we cannot offer you a suitable appointment there are alternative travel clinics, details of which can be found through www.masta.org.

We are a Yellow Fever Vaccine clinic this clinic is available to our own patients and also patients from other surgeries.

Private Medicals

The surgery does Private Medicals for registered patients and unregistered patients.  These could be for HGV/Taxi or for Life Insurance.  If you require one of these services then please contact the surgery on 01386 443333 and ask to speak to our Private Medical Administrator Gill Waghorn who will be willing to help you and inform you of the standard charges.

Mental Health

This is taken very seriously within the surgery and we strive to help all patients that may suffer with this illness.   If you feel that you are suffering with depression or any other symptoms then book an appointment to see one of our qualified doctors.  If the doctor or yourself feel that you would benefit from having some counselling then the doctor will refer you to our Mental Health Nurse Andrea Hanson who holds a clinic at the surgery every Tuesday.

The surgery also holds special clinics to accommodate patients with Mental Health issues and in a lot of cases our Doctors will arrange home visits to those patients that are unable to get to the surgery.

Minor Surgery and Cryocautery Clinic

The Practice offers a minor surgery service for procedures such as removal of ingrowing toe nails, warts and moles. You will need to make an appointment with a Doctor first to discuss your condition and the Doctor will then decide if this is suitable for treatment at the Surgery.

If suitable, you will be put on our waiting list for a further appointment in a Minor Surgery Clinic. At the present time Dr Jones, Dr Harman and Dr Saleem hold Minor Surgery Clinics to which any of the Doctors can refer.

Learning Disabilities

The practice offers patients who have learning disabilities a special clinic which is arranged with our Practice Nurse Julie Rowell and Dr Sarah Harman.  This gives the practice the opportunity to review the patient and to make sure that their needs are being made and cared for.


If you suffer with hypertension (high blood pressure) the surgery will monitor you regularly.  This will mean that you will need to book an appointment with one of our nurses to take your blood pressure and to monitor your medication.

Diabetic clinic

If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, you will require regular monitoring of your condition. This will mainly be performed by the Practice Nurse who will liaise with your Doctor about any specific therapies required. Our overall aim is to enable the patient with diabetes, by the means of education and discussion, to take responsibility for their day to day diabetes care.  Our Diabetes specialist Nurses are Melanie Pick and Julie Rowell.

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Clinic

This chronic lung disease, primarily caused by smoking, can be very debilitating. This Practice Nurse-run clinic aims to improve quality of life for patients and control symptoms. An annual check provides an opportunity to assess lung function and monitor disease progression, address lifestyle issues and give support and advice.  Julie Rowell and Melanie Pick are our specialist nurses trained in monitoring COPD.

Asthma clinic

This Practice Nurse-run asthma clinic provides advice and ongoing support for newly diagnosed and established asthmatics. All aspects of care are provided including assessing symptoms, triggers and treatments as well as self-management plans. Adjustments to medication and devices may be made if appropriate and prescriptions issued in liaison with Doctors.

All new patients with asthma registering with the Practice are invited to attend the Asthma Clinic and annually thereafter if well controlled.